Wednesday, May 07, 2008

4e Cometh

I've been a gamer for a long time; about 15 years. I started with AD&D 2e (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition) back in grade 8, courtesy of James D. and a few others. We'd gather in the library over our 40-minute lunch time and smack a few orcs, then head back to class. (I think we were the ones responsible for the library's subsequent "no students at lunch time" policy.)

For me, it's rarely been about the game or game system. It's been very social. Over the years, I've been lucky enough to meet some exceptional people through gaming. Even years later, I'm very good friends with most of those, especially the first group, from Kingston. (I can proudly claim to have taught Pascal's daughter how to pick up and throw dice with her toes, and no one will forget Angela's trembling fear of Pascal's pink d20... or the smoked-meat watermelon...)

So... now, 4 years after 3.5 edition arrived, 4th edition (4e) is two weeks away. Normally, I'd be in the "dammit - now I have to buy a whole new set of books and supplements" crowd. However, I haven't been a huge fan of 3e or 3.5e. The basics were alright, but nothing scaled with the game's progression. That was my overriding issue (as Pascal and Adrian know full well from my numerous rants).

Enter 4th edition. The changes are, frankly, pretty startling. They've done a lot of cleaning up, simplifying (without dumbing-down) and finally the characters will scale properly.

The first glimmer of hope came in the form of Star Wars Saga edition, a gaming system owned by Wizards of the Coast who also own D&D. They use the same core d20 system. When I saw the changes to SW, I was really happy with them and could only hope for much of the same for D&D.

Well... turns out it's even better. The classes are, as I predicted, designated for certain roles: leader, defender, striker and controller. The core races and core classes are also different. While there are still humans, dwarves, halflings, elves and half-elves, there are now dragonborn, tieflings and eladrin. Bye-bye, gnomes!

The core classes still include: Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Rogue, Ranger and Wizard, but now include Warlock and Warlord. Each has a role to play, and each has a tonne of flexible options based around a core strength or concept.

The big change is Powers. Feats and such still exist, but class abilities have been more or less replaced by Powers that fall into three categories: at-will, encounter and daily powers. These are pretty self-explanatory. They change everything, and most powers have secondary effects that either aid the group at large (excellent) or impedes the baddies. The entire design philosophy seems to be one of creating complementary roles. Finally.

The issue of scale has been fixed by allowing damage, skill bonus, defense and attack bonus to advance as the character does. In D&D 3.0 and 3.5, only certain skill bonuses advanced, and attack power was the only constant advancement bonus.

Anyhoo... it's quite exciting and I'm very much looking forward to it. Next Friday, I'm playing "Keep on the Shadowfell", a 4e pre-release module with quick-play rules and pre-made characters. I've found a new gaming group and the DM seems awesome. I'm still with the Star Wars gang but we haven't actually played a game yet. I think we're supposed to kick off Star Wars on June 7th. Regardless, found a guy who already has a group who was looking for one more for D&D 4th edition. Yay! So we'll see how that is.

Unrelated to D&D, Age of Conan: Hybrorian Adventures is out tomorrow (pre-order early release, anyway). I guess we'll see how that is. It's a MMO-style online game, like WoW, but a whole lot grittier and darker. Here's hoping...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wicked Patrick. Let me know how it goes.

P.S. I've been a dad since Mother's day (ironic, I know). So I won't be able to partake of 4.0 as much as I like. Oh well, I stand by my choice to procreate.

P.P.S. Until I have to change the 18th stinky diaper that day.

Andy

Wayward Mind said...

Congrats on the stink-factory, Andy! Name?