Friday, February 16, 2007

Room to Breathe

Made it through the week. This afternoon was a bit brutal, but I wrote 'Topics' on the board before going for an early 10-minute break. Just said "Anything you want to talk about, write on here. If you don't write anything, you're stuck with my ideas." They put a few things, so we discussed those for the next two hours, and that worked well. Just glad it's over. Played hacky-sack with Lily and little Angel for an hour and a half afterwards to wind down. Now seven days of zero obligation to look forward to.

Found a really cool artist - Dave Allsop - purely by fluke. (image on the left is one of his) Check 'em out if you're into twisted and interesting works. I like his characters page. Reminds me of a perversion of the stuff 'Labyrinth' concept designer Brian Froud did. (Be wary of the "Dark Stuff" link in there... it truly is a pageant of the grotesque and warped, which can be good or bad depending on your preferences...)

I've got some pictures from Thursday night's mixed classes activity up on Flickr. The students had a decent time. It was a combination of the Conversation B and C classes, plus my EF 5s. About 26 of them total. We played an international trade game, and they had a blast using the negotiation language we'd (myself and Andrew) had taught them earlier this week. I hosted it, and Andrew and Michelle played the traders.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I will not click on Patrick's links from work. I will not click on...

Hey Patrick. Just letting you know how I did in the karate tournament I entered. Second place in orange-green belt point sparring. Ok, there were only 3 of us but I still beat one guy (twice). It was fun and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Andy

Wayward Mind said...

Nicely done, man! Just remember the Jedi code. Don't strike with anger or hate... only with glee.

Unknown said...

Oh trust me, glee was had. So much glee that I was told to be a little less aggressive in sparring class last night. When going up against a couple of black belts (they were told to fight fairly defensive and instruct us grunts), I'd score several points early on because my opponents didn't expect me to launch myself at them. Then they started giving me a kick to the ribs as I came in. I just figured out how to block the kick (sometimes). Then they started kicking harder. When I finally didn't take the hint, one guy told me to try something else or I'd be way too predictable.

I got a nice bruise on my shin from cracking legs with another guy. Guess I have to buy some more pads.

Andy

Wayward Mind said...

Just be glad you're not doing muay thai...

Unknown said...

Muay thai? I think I had that at a restaurant last month. The hot sauce on the bruise would probably sting, so thanks for the warning.

Andy

Wayward Mind said...

.............. mei shi.